LUSH VALLEY FOOD ACTION SOCIETY
LUSH Valley –The Hub
1126F Piercy Avenue, Courtenay, V9N 3E6
Hours: Monday – Thursday 10am – 3pmContact:
Jean duGal (Office Manager) -
Lush Valley is a charitable, non-profit grassroots organization focusing on food security – both at the kitchen table level and within the larger context of community. We support food related projects to educate and empower the Comox Valley people towards personal wellness, community health, and environmental stewardship. We are a VIHA Food Security HUB providing leadership and support, developing communication networks and facilitating dialogue with community and government.
Food Security exists when all community residents obtain a safe, culturally acceptable, nutritionally adequate diet through a sustainable food system that maximizes self-reliance and social justice.
We support food related projects to educate and empower the people of the Comox Valley towards personal wellness, community health and environmental stewardship. We support local, sustainable food production at home and on the farm. LUSH = Let Us Share the Harvest. Programs & Services- Fruit Tree Program: August-October. Harvesting and distributing otherwise wasted fruit and nuts. Volunteer pickers share the harvest with the homeowner and the community, people in need and groups providing food to people in need as well as for Lush Valley programming.
- Lush Market: as available during harvest season: fresh, local produce sold affordably or by donation.
- Young Cooks: After school program for children ages 10-15 from low-income families. Children learn cooking, gardening, foraging and about local food.
- Food Skills for Families: A free program for families to learn basic healthy cooking using the Canadian Diabetes Association curriculum.
- Community Kitchens: Shared cooking groups, free preservation and cooking workshops.
- Garden Share: If you have a garden space to share we can help you find someone that is looking for space to garden in.
- Members Pantry: Bulk buying group. We also carry smaller quantities of natural and organic food.
- Workshops and Information: FoodSafe classes, cooking, baking, gardening, canning and preserving, frugal living.
- Meeting space for rent.
- Commercial kitchen for rent.
- Library of cookbooks and food security information.
- Lush Valley does not provide emergency food, but we usually have some food to share: dried beans and rice and fruit during the harvest season.
Last updated: 2014-09-05 Print Listing